BeamContact2D

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

brag006

BeamContact2D

Post by brag006 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:05 pm

Does anyone have any experience with using the BeamContact2D element in a transient analysis? I have been having significant issues trying to get it to work at the interface between piles and surrounding soil. I have been having convergence issues even though I have tried a wide variety of changes to the analysis parameters including the solution algorithm, the size of the time step, and the integrator used. I tried having 1 element only and that worked, and I kept increasing the number of elements added and it works until approximately 5 elements. After which it no longer converges.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

arduino

Re: BeamContact2D

Post by arduino » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:47 pm

The beam contact elements 2D and 3D available in OpenSees work best in static and quasi-static analyses. Even though inertial forces are calculated in transient analysis the elements are very sensitive to the integration method used. Part of this is due to a simplified method used to evaluate contact between time steps. I would avoid using these elements for dynamic cases.

brag006

Post by brag006 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:12 pm

Thank for the prompt reply professor. Do you have any recommendations for the kind of interface elements I could use in my model of a wharf. I am developing a 2D model including the soil domain (SSPQuad) and the wharf (dispBeamColumn). How can I capture the response at the interace?

brag006

Post by brag006 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Also is it possible to fix the element so it does work in a transient analysis? If so, any guidance with that would be much appreciated.