Recorders: Deformation

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

hshoar

Recorders: Deformation

Post by hshoar » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:58 am

Hello,

I want to record the rotation of a beam at it's ends. I'm confused which recorder is right to use? and I would appreciate if anyone give some additional explanation about these recorders.
When I use a recorde like this:
recorder Element -file Beam-rotation68.out -time -ele 68 -section 1 plasticDeformation(or basicDeformation)
it gives me nothing, and I find that I have to not mention the section. why? and each one of three columns represent what?
When I use "deformation" like below:
recorder Element -file Beam-rotation68.out -time -ele 68 -section 1 deformation
I can specify the section I want to see its deformation, and it gives just two columns. which column in which recorder gives the rotation of beam end?
My model is 2D!

Thank you very much.

fmk
Site Admin

Re: Recorders: Deformation

Post by fmk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:03 am

1. you don't specify the section because the plasticDeformation is something the element will respond to and not the section will not.

2. for beam rotations ends ask the element for the basicDeformations .. columns 2 and 3 are totations at the 2 ends, col 1 is the axial.

3. for the sections: 1 is elongation, 2 is curvature.

hshoar

Re: Recorders: Deformation

Post by hshoar » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:25 am

Thank you very much Dr. for your quick and complete answer! and I still have that idea to collect these useful information! or at least put a button here to report a post as a useful answer!
thank you for your help.