Geometrical Transformation

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

rmandok

Geometrical Transformation

Post by rmandok » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:51 am

Hi
One of my colleagues told me that opensees won't consider the effects of P-Delta (major and minus) unless you define a little eccentricity in the middle of the column (He claims that he built some models and then came to this conclusion). Now i want to know is it really true that if we define our geomTransf, Corotational the program won't consider the effect of P-Deltas until we define a eccentricity for the column or not?!

AHARSHIAN

Re: Geometrical Transformation

Post by AHARSHIAN » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:27 am

Hi,

I think he is not completely right! Three things in OpenSees for Geometrical Transformation:

1) P-Delta (major) which is based on end nodes relative displacements can be included in your model with PDelta Geometric Transformation Option.
2) for P-delta (minus) which is based on relative displacement to the chord, there is no option in OpenSees! But remember that you can simply devide your element to some sub-elements and apply P-Delta! In this case you are including both P-delta (minus) and P-Delta(major). It is like a trick! but it really works well.
3) Corotational Geometric Transformation Option works for large displacements-small strain problems but unfortunately it neglects elemental loads! So, if you have some frame elements with loads on them, this geometric transformation object is useless!

I think P-Delta is enough for typicall structural problems, if you have large deformations (high order of geometrical nonlinearity problem), just break your elements to some finer elements and again use P-Delta!
Best Regards,
A.H.Arshian

rmandok

Post by rmandok » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:31 am

Thank you for your effective help dear Arshian

vijaykulhar

Post by vijaykulhar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:36 am

I have doubt in "geomTransf Linear" command definition. Please tell me how to define this command
You can see this pitcher here http://kulharvijay.wordpress.com/?attachment_id=244
As shown in figure how to define geomTransf Linear command for Element 5-9 OR 6-9 etc.

rmandok

Post by rmandok » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:11 pm

Dear Vijaykulhar, Here is a file that contains 3D frame figure and the OpenSees code. you can download this file from here:
http://www.filedropper.com/3d_1
I hope that it helps.

vijaykulhar

Post by vijaykulhar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks Dear rmandok ............ but i am not able to download this file .....may be because of different country location ........
I will be very thankful to you if could Email this file me @ kulhar.vijay@gmail.com
Hoping a positive reply...........
Thanks a lot sir

rmandok

Post by rmandok » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Dear Arshian
Can you please explain more about corotational geomtransf? so if it is better to use p-delta what is the purpose of using corotational?!

AHARSHIAN

Post by AHARSHIAN » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:16 am

Hi rmandok,

For the case that you have beam-column elements WITH LOADS on them, the corotational geometric transformation is useless because it neglects the elemental loads! Then you can apply P-Delta but for considering large deformations you have to break your element into some sub-elements and apply P-Delta. This method considers both P-Delta and P-delta!

I think, Corotational Geometric Transformation can be applied for the cases in which you apply deformations to your structure and there is no load on the elements!
Best Regards,
A.H.Arshian

vijaykulhar

Re: recorders

Post by vijaykulhar » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:46 am

for recording data we use command like this
recorder Node -file $dataDir/DFree.out -time -node 4 -dof 1 2 3 disp; # displacements of free node
this records data in .out file.
Now my question is that can we change this .out file to .xlsx (i.e. excel) directly ??

Thanking you

vesna

Post by vesna » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:44 pm

Try it. It may work.