"patch rect" command

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

UMUT AKIN

"patch rect" command

Post by UMUT AKIN » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:31 am

does 'patch rect' command works in the code or is it omitted, since manual or any other help file do not mention about it ?

vesna

Re: "patch rect" command

Post by vesna » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:52 am

There is no such a command. If you want to define rectangular patch use 'patch quad' command as explained here:
http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... ch_Command

felipe_cordero

Post by felipe_cordero » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:09 am

Hello,

I'm still using "patch rect". I think it is easier for rectangular sections, because you only need two points.

vesna

Post by vesna » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks, Felipe. I did not know of this. I will check on this and add it to command manual.

felipe_cordero

Post by felipe_cordero » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:16 am

You are welcome, Vesna. By the way, in a recent post, I'm asking for the usage of composite response recorder or something like that, present in the last version of OpenSees. It says that can record information from all section in a beam-column. Can you help me please, giving me an example or the way I can use that?

Thanks!

vesna

Post by vesna » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Felipe, I responded to your other post.

As of "patch rect" command, I have checked on it and I am adding it to the manual. Umut, you will be able to see this command very soon in the command manual. Thanks for letting me know about this.

vesna

Post by vesna » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Here is a link to "patch rect" command:
http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... ch_Command

Felipe, since you have experience with this command would you please read it and please let me know I you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

felipe_cordero

Post by felipe_cordero » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Dear Vesna,

I have a suggestion. What you have written would be correct only if the rectangular fiber took place in the whole y-z plane, but if the fiber were only in a particular quadrant, then that wouldn't be absolutely OK. So what I suggest is to change 3th and 1th quadrant by something like this: first point is the bottom-left point and the second the top-right point, having as reference the y-z plane for the given directions.

What do you thing about?

vesna

Post by vesna » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:40 am

You are absolutely right! I will change it and I will also add a sketch of the rectangular patch.

Thanks!

UMUT AKIN

Post by UMUT AKIN » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:55 am

Vesna and Felipe, thank you for your help. In fact, I was in a kind of hurry and to be sure, I changed all my section definitions to "patch quad" after I read the first comment but anyway, it confirmed your last comments about the "patch rect" command.