convergence issue

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

lvy

convergence issue

Post by lvy » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:39 am

Hello, everyone.

I performed a transient analysis. When I take P-delta effect into account, the analysis stop for convergence issue. But the analysis could achieve convergence leaving P-delta effect alone. How to improve the convergence of the analysis?

Thanks!!

JunLi

Post by JunLi » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:51 pm

May be the analysis object collapsed before the whole transient analysis was achieved. So you should stop it as the deformation of the analysis object reaches maximum.

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:42 am

P-Delta typi results in more forces in the elements of the model and it will
also increase the number of iterations for convergence .. corotational will be even worse if the model experiencing large displacements .. is the convergence problem global or local?

lish hit

re

Post by lish hit » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:29 pm

It’s a good question to discuss,in my analysis(take account P-Dalta),if the convergence problem ids global,i.e.the displacement is always increase in one direction.Either I use smaller dt or other arithmetic,is failed to convergence also,does anyone kown some methed to improve the problem(I mean make the analysis can process a little more time)? And does the force-based element can give preciseness result in so large displacement?
lish hit
Harbin Institute of Technology
e-mail:leeshhit@163.com
Structural nonlinear dynamic analysis,
structural simulation