problem of beam moment-curvature figure

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

wunico

problem of beam moment-curvature figure

Post by wunico » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:30 am

I use the nonlinearBeamColumn element to build a portal frame, and import an acceleration of ground motion(taft) to this frame,and finish the Transient analysis.
but when i analyze the beam's end section moment-curvature time–history curve, I find the figure is very secund? the column's is proper.
Normally,the section moment-curvature time–history curve surrounds the origin .why this beam section’s figure is like this? which factors may
cause that? And how can I resolve this problem? :(

silvia

Post by silvia » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:53 am

is this still a problem?
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104

wunico

my opinion

Post by wunico » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:46 am

i found the section moment-curvature time–history curve is secund,when the section is yield under the positive moment after yield under negative moment.i think the section be yield at negative curvature under positive moment is right,becouse the area of top steel is more than the bottom's.

silvia

Post by silvia » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:59 am

okey, i am assuming secund means not symmetric.
but that's okey, right, if this is a portal frame gravity moments impose a symmetric bending-moment diagram, while lateral loads impose antisymmetric one. the symmetric (gravity) and antisymmetric (lateral) axial load affects the flexural strength.

the ground motion is not symmetric either.

so are things okey or not?
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104