Tension/Compression limits

Forum for asking and answering questions related to use of the OpenSeesPy module

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

JeferssonReyes

Tension/Compression limits

Post by JeferssonReyes » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:40 pm

Hello to all OpenSees users!

I'm working on a pushover analysis and I'm currently seeking information regarding the assignment of compression/tension limits to frame elements (ElasticTimoshenkoBeam) in OpenSees.

Given the specific characteristics of the structure I'm analyzing, it's crucial to be able to establish these limits.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about how to do this in OpenSees? I would greatly appreciate your help! #OpenSees #OpenSeesPy

kvolcanic

Re: Tension/Compression limits

Post by kvolcanic » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:41 pm

Hi friend,
In OpenSees, the ElasticTimoshenkoBeam element is a simple beam-column element with shear and axial deformations. Unfortunately, by default, it doesn't have built-in options for assigning compression or tension limits. To simulate compression or tension limits, you may need to implement your own logic using OpenSees scripting. It's important to provide a basic outline, and you might need to customize the script according to your specific requirements and the behavior you want to simulate.
"You cannot find peace by avoiding life."tunnel rush- Michael Cunningham