how smooth is model programming/analysis using OpenSeesPy compared to using TCL?

Forum for asking and answering questions related to use of the OpenSeesPy module

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

MikeITExpert

how smooth is model programming/analysis using OpenSeesPy compared to using TCL?

Post by MikeITExpert » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:02 pm

I am collaborating with a civil engineer so as to improve model analysis and tuning using algorithmic/computer science graph-search techniques.

I am more comfortable using Python/OpenSeesPy, however I am not sure how it would turn out in the long run as I am a newbie in OpenSeesPy?

I am wondering if using OpenSeesPy is as smooth/complete as TCL? Would there be potentially any challenges we might encounter in future?

I would like an expert to elaborate on that please.
Much appreciate it.

mhscott

Re: how smooth is model programming/analysis using OpenSeesPy compared to using TCL?

Post by mhscott » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:19 pm

Yes, OpenSeesPy is as complete, and probably more smooth, than Tcl. The only missing pieces in OpenSeesPy are structural reliability commands, but I suspect that won't be an issue for you.

jalaljahromi

Re: how smooth is model programming/analysis using OpenSeesPy compared to using TCL?

Post by jalaljahromi » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:58 am

Excellent, I had the same problem. It was fixed

ApkHex

Post by ApkHex » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:43 am

It's really very Smooth , https://ApkHex.com

YanYang

Post by YanYang » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:11 am

Of course it is OpenSeespy, you can wrap your model into a function, and then you can use any python scientific library, such as scipy for scientific computing, joblib for model parallelism, etc.
You can take full advantage of the powerful ecology of python.

MikeITExpert

Post by MikeITExpert » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:23 am

How about O3Seespy?

How is that compared and contrasted to OpenSeesPy ?

I am guessing one benefit is that we can different instances of the solver engine simultaneously. While using OpenSeesPy you only have one instance and if you want try a different structural model, you have to wipe out everything and try again.

I guess o3Seespy is a better option theoretically though I am not sure how stabile it is compared to OpenSeesPy and TCL programming.

Please let me know you thoughts on that too.

Regards,