Error in compiling OpenSeesPy for MacOS

Forum for asking and answering questions related to use of the OpenSeesPy module

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

QIAOYM

Error in compiling OpenSeesPy for MacOS

Post by QIAOYM » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:06 am

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to compiling OpenSeesPy on my MacBook. I followed the instructions in Chapter 2.1 of the "Docs of The OpenSeesPy Library(https://openseespydoc.readthedocs.io/en ... lemac.html)" step by step. But when I started compiling, it failed with the following error message:

make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/local/Cellar/superlu/5.2.1/lib/libsuperlu.a', needed by `Bin/libopensees.dylib'. Stop.

The building environments is:

OSX 10.14.5 (Catalina)
Qt 5.12.9
Qt Creator 4.12.2
Apple clang version 11.0.3 (clang-1103.0.32.62)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0
Thread model: posix
Python: 3.8.6

I am trying to solve this problem, but have failed still now.

Could you please tell me how to deal with it?

Thank you!

Yumeng

gavrilovic

Re: Error in compiling OpenSeesPy for MacOS

Post by gavrilovic » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:34 pm

Hi Yumeng,

This is an old post, but perhaps this answer can help someone in the future. The error you are getting is because your compiler cannot find the `libsuperlu.a` library. OpenSees depends on several libraries, e.g., solvers, graph partitioners, etc. These libraries must be built or installed independently before OpenSeesPy can be compiled. Many of these can be installed via the home-brew package manager. For example, by running:

Code: Select all

brew install superlu
Depending on your build configuration, the full list of required libraries can be found in the `OpenSeesLibs.pri` file. After you have installed the required libraries on your computer, you need to go back into the OpenSeesLibs.pri file and change the paths so that they point to the locations of the libraries on your computer. After that it should find the libraries and compile.