Error while using the opensees.so library in Python

Forum for asking and answering questions related to use of the OpenSeesPy module

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

SumeetSinha

Error while using the opensees.so library in Python

Post by SumeetSinha » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:46 pm

Hi,

I successfully compiled opensees and openseespy using the provided makefile under Linux environment. Then, I ran some example problems from the EXAMPLES/ExampleScripts folder with opensees executable and it works fine.

However, when I run the test.py in \OpenSees\SRC\interpreter I get the following error.

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test.py", line 1, in <module>
    import opensees as ops
ImportError: /OpenSees/SRC/interpreter/opensees.so: undefined symbol: _ZN11LognormalRVC1EiRK6Vector
Am I missing something regarding the compilation of python library?
Is there any documentation that I could refer to regarding the compilation of the Openseespy module?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks
Sumeet

SumeetSinha

Re: Error while using the opensees.so library in Python

Post by SumeetSinha » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:43 pm

Investigating the problem, the error was coming from OpenSeesReliabilityCommands. I did a dirty fix by commenting on all the OpenSeesReliability commands because I didn't need them and consequently removed the

OpenSeesReliabilityCommands.o
from the compilation (in /SRC/interpreter directory). I was not able to figure out why the undefined reference was coming from them. If you need those commands in python, perhaps you need to figure out the original problem and fix it.

In order to debug the problem, I added the flag

--no-undefined,
while compiling the libraries (files changed: /SRC/interpreter/Makefile). It basically informs right during the compilation about the undefined references.

In my /makefile.def , I also included the python library

-lpython3.6m
Hope this helps!

====================================
Sumeet Kumar Sinha
PhD Student, Geotechnical Engineering
Dept of Civil and Env Engineering, UC Davis
sumeetksinha.com