first post

Forum for asking and answering questions related to use of the OpenSeesPy module

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

fmk
Site Admin

first post

Post by fmk » Wed May 06, 2020 11:45 am

checking this works

zhum

Re: first post

Post by zhum » Wed May 06, 2020 11:52 am

:D we will see what questions are posted here

mhscott

Post by mhscott » Wed May 06, 2020 12:30 pm

8) Let's see

Faisal
Location: University of Engineering & Technology Peshawar Pakistan

Post by Faisal » Fri May 08, 2020 7:35 am

Hi FMK, Zhum and MHScott,

TL;DR I need py files to solve wall made from shell, interface element for brick masonry and elastic 3d slab frame system.

In detail I need following (2 minutes read):

I started using opensees since 2007, but unfortunately, I was never able to get as efficient user in opensees as I mastered sap2k. Probably because of lack of gui and detailed step by step case studies. Also because of propriety and bloated gui from 3rd party. But now I want to do some serious things in opensees regarding research and practical designing. I am unable to solve the problem of my interest from official example files and documentations. I have two problems and I would highly appreciate if you help me in solving these problems or at least show me a way out.

Problem 01 (Chapter 04, Page 62, P. B. Lourenco PhD Thesis, Computational Strategies for Masonry Structures):
I want to solve a masonry wall made (meso scale) 1000mm x 1000mm x 114mm. In first stage of loading a uniform precompression is applied (0.30 N/mm2). The top is then constraint so that only horizontal displacement is applied. In second stage a horizontal displacement is applied at top corner up to 4mm. A CDP material model can be used for wall element. In output, top corner displacement is plotted with respect to total horizontal reaction at bottom.

In this problem, if you can provide me basic py model for geometry, load stages, material model, then, I will tweak the model myself by adjusting values. I will also figure out if you provided separate files describing above problem.

Problem 02: (Interface element with example Page 45, P. B. Lourenco PhD Thesis, Computational Strategies for Masonry Structures)
Is there interface element in opensees to model mortar interface of brick masonry? If yes then I would like to try a some examples files (py) that you can provide.

Problem 03 (Elastic analysis of 3D concrete frame slab system):
Finally, I need a simple 3d slab frame system in opensees (py file). Slab is 12ft x 12ft x 6in and made from shell element. Beam is 12x15in with x-sectional connectivity from its top center. Beam is below slab around the edges of slab made from line element. Finally, the corners of slab are connected with columns (12in x12in) hinged at bottom.
I am interested in output of Shear Force and Bending Moment and forces at joints in line elements. Also, deflection (in) and bending moment (k-ft/ft) in shell in both x and y directions is required.

Problem 04: (Simple example in PFEM)
Is it possible to model large deformation of beam using PFEM? or some simple FSI? If so then I would like examples of those too.
Engr. Faisal-ur-Rehman [FR]

Assistant Professor
Department of Civil Engineering
University of Engineering & Technology Peshawar Pakistan
Peshawar, Pakistan

email: faisal@uetpeshawar.edu.pk
fslurrehman@hotmail.com

mhscott

Post by mhscott » Tue May 19, 2020 8:53 am

Those are some very specific examples. I recommend you make a new post in the general OpenSees forums to see if anyone has Tcl examples to share, then do your best to convert those to Python.

zrunming

Post by zrunming » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:06 pm

how can I download opensees