Detecting Strain Too Large as an exception

Forum for asking and answering questions related to use of the OpenSeesPy module

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

bqi

Detecting Strain Too Large as an exception

Post by bqi » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:06 pm

Hello,

I have been experimenting with OpenSeesPy and its examples on the documentation, particularly with earthquake analysis. I'm interested in using Non-Linear Dynamic Analysis, in applying earthquakes to material, and have been looking at the example posted here:

https://openseespydoc.readthedocs.io/en ... quake.html

In particular, I would like to use the SAWS material, and have been using a for loop to iterate with experimenting with different levels of the SAWS parameters (Changing F0, FI, DU, S0, R1, R2, R3, R4, alpha, beta) for that example. I've noticed when I set a certain boundary for a parameter too high or low and put it through the analysis command, the program prints out "Strain Too Large." I assume it is because either the generated material is too weak or the ground motions applied would be too strong, but I would like to be able to catch that error in a Python exception and continue with the for loop normally through multiple analyses.

Any help would be appreciated for me to detect the Strain Too Large error, as it is currently not thrown as an exception if I use a try and except clause.