Which software is better: 3D-Basis or Opensees?

A place to ask questions on how to use OpenSees to perform Finite Element Reliability Analysis

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, mhscott, Moderators

masbundroni

Which software is better: 3D-Basis or Opensees?

Post by masbundroni » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:56 am

Which of the two above (or any other software like them) is better to be used as the software for verification of an isolated structure?
I know both might be ok but since I want to learn one of them, I think if I spend my time on the one which also fulfills my future needs and research on seismic isolation, it would be much better.

https://www.ndesorecipes.eu.org/

Mikekelvin

Re: Which software is better: 3D-Basis or Opensees?

Post by Mikekelvin » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:41 am

According to me, opensees is the best software as compared to 3D-Basis. Opensees is more advanced software that helps in seismic simulations. Many models are present that helps in fibre-beam force formulation.

usy

Re: Which software is better: 3D-Basis or Opensees?

Post by usy » Mon May 10, 2021 12:09 pm

Both OpenSees and 3D Basis(including modified versions 3D Basis-ME-MB) can be used to model isolated structures effectively as long as we have a basic understanding on program enviroment(e.g., how to include isolator elements into structure or define support conditions). You can find many people who used these programs in literature for research purposes. I won't go into detail on how two programs different in technical sense, instead I want to point out development perspective. Last version of 3D Basis(ME-MB version) released in 2009, which we can reasonably assume that it is no longer supported. OpenSees is preferred over 3D Basis for modeling isolated structures in recent years, which again can be seen through a internet search. One of the main contributors of the 3D Basis program Prof M. Constantinou(or his co-researchers) seems to use OpenSees as well, as you can see in recent technical reports of MCEER. So, it would logical choice to spend time on OpenSees regarding future perspective.