invalid command name " mpirun"

This forum is for issues related to parallel processing
and OpenSees using the new interpreters OpenSeesSP and OpenSeesMP

Moderator: selimgunay

mehdikia2519

invalid command name " mpirun"

Post by mehdikia2519 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:05 am

dear fmk
when OpenSeesSP interpreter is run from the command line with the command " mpirun -np 7 OpenSeesSingleParallelInterpreter ida.txt " , It returns the invalid command name " mpirun " (look at the openseesSp screen copied in the following ) . what is the reason ?

best regard
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Master Process Running OpenSees Interpreter 0
OpenSees -- Open System For Earthquake Engineering Simulation
Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center -- 2.4.3 (rev 5645)
(c) Copyright 1999-2013 The Regents of the University of California
All Rights Reserved (Copyright and Disclaimer @ http://www.berkeley.edu/OpenSees/copyright.html)

OpenSees > mpirun -np 4 OpenSeesSingleParallelInterpreter ida.txt
invalid command name "mpirun"
OpenSees >
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

brag006

Re: invalid command name " mpirun"

Post by brag006 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:59 am

You are running it wrong.

you use mpirun when you first call OpenSees not after you have already called it. Also I think its called OpenSeesSP or OpenSeesMP and no longer called OpenSeesSingl.... unless that is the name you compiled it in?

mehdikia2519

Post by mehdikia2519 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:28 pm

dear brag006
thanks for your help but i don't understand your mean . can you explain more in detail ?

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:12 am

he means that you normally start openseesMP or SP running with the mpirun command .. you do not normally place the command inside the script (if you do, AND YOU PROBABLY DO NOT, you would use it with another command).

mehdikia2519

Re:why invalid command name " mpirun"

Post by mehdikia2519 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:35 pm

Dear fmk
I read the Documentation described openseesSp and OpenSeesMp use, additional commands, modified commands, and some examples (http://opensees.berkeley.edu/OpenSees/p ... rallel.php ) completely . according to this document (section 4.2) it is possible to use the script that is exactly the same as a regular opensees script that run on a sequential or single processor machine but for domain decomposition it is only need the user start opensees interpreter (OpenSeesSP) from the command line with a command such as " mpirun -np 4 OpenSeesParallelInterpreter main1.tcl " . i did this but invalid command name mpirun was returned . you and brag006 suggested to place the command inside the script , it is done but any results earned , i mean invalid comman name mpirun was returned again .whether the command must be used in special location ?

Please do me a favor and help me to solve the problem .
Thank you

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 am

this is not an OpenSees issue, bu an mpi problem you have. you really need to learn how to use the mpi installed on your machine to start a parallel application (i.e. OpenSeesSP).
it might be mpiexec on your machine instead of mpirun. go look at the documentation and simple tutorials on the web for how to use mpi.