ShallowFoundationGen error?

A forum dedicated to feature requests and the future direction of OpenSees, i.e. what would you like, what do you need, what should we explore

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

JSAp

ShallowFoundationGen error?

Post by JSAp » Fri May 15, 2015 9:45 pm

The fonction ShallowFoundationGen as a small error which causes the rigidity of the winklers to be higher than the one requested in 2 cases. It's pretty much all related to the fact that nodes distribution does not correspond to rigidity distribution.

Case #1 - Higher rigidity for elastic winklers (type 2 and 3)
In the actual form of "ShallowFoundationGen.cpp", leRatio (Se) should always be equal or smaller than Re otherwise you'll get more rigidity than what was specified. In fact, if leRatio>2*Re OpenSEES will just crash because: "Division by 0". (e.g. If someone adds all the rigidities of all the individual winklers for a case where Rk=2 Re=0.1 and Se=0.2 the total Kv will be 8.3% higher than the one specified)

Case #2 - Higher rigidity for inelastic winklers (type 4 and 5)
Exterior winklers rigidity (Qult) is calculated twice because of what was said before. I my own opinion, this could be fixed by adding a 4th material for Qz, or by placing the nodes in correspondance with the calculated rigidity distribution. Note that the problem of case #1 also applies here on top.