Initial stress (or stain) in uniaxial ductile materials

A forum dedicated to feature requests and the future direction of OpenSees, i.e. what would you like, what do you need, what should we explore

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

chlam

Initial stress (or stain) in uniaxial ductile materials

Post by chlam » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:34 am

Dear Developers,

I am now using Opensees to model the behavior of steel columns under seismic loads using the Steel02 material with fiber sections.

I noticed that the uniaxialMaterial ElasticPP offers the option to specifie initial strains while the other types of ductile materials do not.

I think inplementing this new feature to ductile materials such as steel01, steel02, etc... would be very usefull to take into acount residual stresses.

Even though I am not the best programmer, I must admit I tried to modified the code myself. I simply could'nt manage to find where the code of Steel02 is located in the source files...

Thank you very much for your time.
Your software is quite something!

Best Regards

Charles-P. Lamarche
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Qc, Canada.

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:20 am

steel02 is not in the source code .. it is the property of Prof. Filippou who soes not want it released .. have you looked at the hysteretic material instead.

chlam

Post by chlam » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:51 am

As a mater of fact, I did. But this material does not give a transition as smooth as steel2 nor strain hardening capabilities.

Until the steel2 code is changed or reprogrammed from scratch, I guess I will have to use the hysteretic uniaxialmaterial...

Any other ideas would be welcomed.
Thank you so much for your quick reply.

Best Regards

Charles-P. Lamarche

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:32 pm

there is a new steel material, Steel03 .. you might want to look at instead of Steel02.