Nonlinear time history analysis

A forum dedicated to feature requests and the future direction of OpenSees, i.e. what would you like, what do you need, what should we explore

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

avik

Nonlinear time history analysis

Post by avik » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:36 am

I want to do Nonlinear time history analysis for a SDOF structure by specifying only the intial stiffness, mass and force-deformation relation (similar to the procedure in SAP2000 using nonlinear link element) without specifying the member size. Can I do it using OPENSEES? What element shall I use?
Thanks

fmk
Site Admin

Re: Nonlinear time history analysis

Post by fmk » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:18 am

thats a zero length element with the force deformation relationship provided by a unixial material, whose initial slpoe is equal to the K you want.

avik

Post by avik » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:23 am

Thanks a lot!

cengizhandurucan

Post by cengizhandurucan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:04 am

I want to do Nonlinear time history analysis for a SDOF structure by specifying only the intial stiffness, mass and force-deformation relation (similar to the procedure in SAP2000 using nonlinear link element) without specifying the member size. Can I do it using OPENSEES? What element shall I use?
Thanks

i have to do the same thing but additionaly i should account for p-d effects,

in summary,
i should perform sdof time history analyses including material nonlinearities and p-delta effects.

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:10 am

1) no p-delta: you could do it simply using a zeroLength element with a steel01 material.

2) add p-delta: you could add the pdelta effect by simply adding a pdelta column to the sie of your sdof model (using say an elasticBeamColumn element with a pinned base, some length, some axial load, and axial stiffness)_ and then using an equalDOF command to tie node at top of column to the sdof model.

HiteshAtri

Post by HiteshAtri » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:57 pm

how can i do timehistory analysis of o cantilever beam of given cross section damping and stiffness