replace tcl with python

A forum dedicated to feature requests and the future direction of OpenSees, i.e. what would you like, what do you need, what should we explore

Moderators: silvia, Moderators

replace tcl with python

Postby scotty300582 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:56 am

Hi, I've just started to use opensees. It's a very interesting and good project and It's opensource so I think I'm going to love it.
I have a question...is there any particular reason for use tcl as script language? Tcl is a quite friendly scripting language but I think python could ensure more flexibility and integration possibility which other opensource scientific tools. There are a lot of interesting piece of opensource software out there using python as scripting language (CAElinux suite, blender, freecad, ....).
I'd like to know if there is any plan to replace tcl with python, I think it would be a great enhancement.
Regards,
Filippo
scotty300582

Re: replace tcl with python

Postby fmk » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:21 am

there is a plan to do it .. i just have to find the time .. the plan would allow other interpreters to be used, i.e. Tcl,Python,Ruby,Matlab ..
fmk
Site Admin

Postby scotty300582 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:00 am

Hi,
There is a development guide telling how to get this goal? I'd like to try some experiment...
If no I'll simply wait you got the time.
Regards,
Filippo
scotty300582

Postby fmk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:50 pm

to do so i have to create a proceudre for each new class that gets added .. the procedure instead of calling tcl functions calls the API .. all new classes that are being now added to this framework use this new API .. i just need to work through the old ones .. once that is done i will introduce some new classes, one each for the different interpreters .. finally the api will be rewritten to use these new interpreter classes.
fmk
Site Admin

Postby sb1966 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Dear all,
This would be really a nice step for greater user flexibility. We look forward for fmk to complete this great task. Good luck. This will also pave the way to integrate OS with SALOME.
Regards
----------------------------------
With Regards,
sb1966
sb1966

Postby ethanehunt » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:17 am

If you use Python - be prepared to learn what a programming language actually IS and if you don't care or don't enjoy programming then stick to PHP. PHPs strength is that it is easy to learn and easy to deploy. Python too is easy to learn and somewhat easy to deploy - just not as good support from a shared-hosting perspective. Drawback of PHP from a programming perspective is that it doesn't have a good OOP culture - it has inherited a lot of warts in its design and is comparatively speaking not as well designed as Python. If you use PHP then use a framework such as Cake or build on top of other solid open-source projects such as Wordpress - I've seen enough 'PHP superstars' roll their own code and then have the server compromised within a month because they don't have the slightest regard (or understanding) of security.
ethanehunt

Postby mokalola » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:04 am

Net is stuffed with hundreds and hundreds of free of charge game titles, played by folks from all components of the entire world. So if you're one this sort of parent, never be ashamed. It is time to devote some good quality moments with your youngster.All significant web gaming portals offer you you accounts. After you have an account produced, which is optional of program, you can submit scores on-line, vote for online games that you like or dislike, sustain your statistics successfully, discover out how numerous hrs you've got expended playing a recreation and your possess substantial scores. Do give a moment to studying the game's description and get your self acquainted with the controls so you know what you're intended to do after the match starts, that is to say if you don't know it already.As for youngsters, the games that enjoy fantastic recognition among them are sports activities game titles, racing and experience types. They take pleasure in the simulation presented by these on-line online games and most of the occasions get their close friends involved to get full benefit of the unlimited amount of players they can take pleasure in competing with more than the world wide web. This sort of online games also attractiveness to users of this age group since off the very graphic articles and rapid game-engage in which assessments their reflexes like no other check can. Be it skateboarding, racing, or a sport, every single game is offered by numerous developers so even the most function-hungry teens are unlikely to miss a function they appreciate on their consoles.

On the internet free games are straightforward to perform, they have couple of controls and the diversity in recreation-perform in addition the multiplayer gaming presented completely free of cost is a significant ace in their pack. The use of flash technologies has improved the accessibility to on the internet video games and there is not a individual out there who has internet access but can not get pleasure from such an action! So get yourself an account right now, and enter the online globe of gaming in which the globe is your competitor, and you are the individual that you have always fantasized oneself as.
Follow maketh a male excellent and practically nothing alterations the simple fact even for driving. It is a skill no 1 can declare perfection. A lot of drivers' even now face mishaps due to minimal blunders. Here the 3D automobile game titles come as an efficient solution to boost our driving expertise. These automobile online games simulate the actual situation and therefore rectify our driving loopholes by apply. They not only provide us with the sheer expertise of thrill but also endow us with a par excellence in the skill to push the 4 wheelers. Avid gamers can go after the success by exhibiting vigilance, reasonable thinking and absolutely a wining spirit. The acceptance of the automobile game titles are not able to be forget about and for that reason the need of incorporating superior functions is not just a option the designers can make. This is simply because one particular can entail other gamers and expertise a thrilling match. [url=http://onlinevsgames.com/]3d racing games online[/url]
mokalola

Return to Feature Requests/Future Directions