OpenSees 64 Ubuntu

For developers writing C++, Fortran, Java, code who have questions or comments to make.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

MDSmith526

OpenSees 64 Ubuntu

Post by MDSmith526 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:31 pm

I'm brand new to Linux. I'd like to install a 64 bit version of OpenSees, but I can't find a very clear instruction guide on how to do that with the latest version.

I know I need some dependencies, and some of those have to be 64-bit version. I know that I also need to modify the makefile.def. I'm not very confident I know how to do either one of those things correctly. Could someone give me guidance? I found the link for installing OpenSeesMP on Linux. Is it the same, except not the MP version?

Thanks
Matthew D Smith, PhD, PE
Research Civil Engineer
Information Technology Laboratory
Engineering Research and Development Center
US Army Corps of Engineers
Vicksburg, MS

zhum

Re: OpenSees 64 Ubuntu

Post by zhum » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:23 pm

You need to compile the opensees source code to a 64 bit binary on a linux system. To do that, you have to modify the makefile.def to set things such as source code directory, compilers, and quite few flags. Then you can type 'make' in the opensees main directory and will see compiling informations and/or errors.

MDSmith526

Post by MDSmith526 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:23 am

Of course. I can compile OpenSees in general. What I'm asking is, which dependencies are needed in 64 bit. For instance, I know I need the 64 bit version of TCL8.5. Do I need a special BLAS or LAPACK or anything else?
Matthew D Smith, PhD, PE
Research Civil Engineer
Vicksburg, MS

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:26 am

if you look at the Makefile.def.EC2??? there is a list of packages that need to be installed if you have a plane minimal operating system w/o compilers and other needed items. tcl is one of the packages that gets installed.

MDSmith526

Post by MDSmith526 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:29 pm

I built opensees using the instructions in the makefile.def, but the text when I run it says OpenSees blah blah (rev 6248) 32-Bit. I ran OpenSees and asked tcl what it's pointer size was and it was 8, so at least tcl is 64 bit. Did I miss something else?
Matthew D Smith, PhD, PE
Research Civil Engineer
Vicksburg, MS

MDSmith526

Post by MDSmith526 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:35 pm

I just ran a fairly large model and it is using 3.9GB of memory, so I'm guessing it is 64-bit, whether it says it is or not...? Also, if anyone is interested, I built it using the new Windows 10 Ubuntu and it ran like a charm.
Matthew D Smith, PhD, PE
Research Civil Engineer
Vicksburg, MS

fmckenna

Post by fmckenna » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:31 pm

ignore the text posted to the screen .. the compiler nor exe is actually obtaining info from the MAkefile or system about whether the 32 or 64 bit version being compiled .. if you want to change it it is in SRC/tcl/tclMain.cpp