how to install on linux mint

For developers writing C++, Fortran, Java, code who have questions or comments to make.

Moderators: silvia, Moderators

how to install on linux mint

Postby scotv » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:26 pm

Hi i have used open sees on windows but now on my new laptop i have linux mint cinnamon 17.2

I have no idea how to install on this OS

Any light towards right direction is appreciated.
scot v
Technology/Marketing Student
Berkeley
Slimjet
scotv

Re: how to install on linux mint

Postby fmk » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:19 pm

you will need a fortran, c, and c++ compiler .. typically on linux people use gcc (sometimes if no fortran they build gcc from a tarball)
then you need to build tcl 8.5
finally download and build OpenSees .. for a starting Makefile.def ick something with EC2 in the name
fmk
Site Admin

Postby dwarak » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:29 am

Boot into the live version of Linux Mint 17.
Click on the install icon on the desktop.

Choose your installation language and click "Continue".

You will be asked to connect to your wireless network. This is optional and to be honest I always choose not to connect.

The installer will use your internet connection to download updates as it goes which means when you boot Linux Mint 17 for the first time after installation it will be completely up to date.

If you have a slow internet connection this can take ages and if your connection drops then it is hard to know the state of your installation. I prefer to get the installation done first and then apply updates later.

Select your preferred option and click "Continue".

The next steps shows you how well prepared you are for installing Linux Mint. If you have three green ticks then you are good to go. (The only one you really have to worry about is disk space and if you are not using a power source make sure your battery is charged).

Click "Continue".
The next step is very important. You basically get three choices when it comes to installing Linux Mint:

a. Install Linux Mint alongside Windows
b. Erase disk and Install Linux Mint
c. Something else

For this installation I will be advocating choosing the option “Something Else”.

The “Something Else” option allows you to choose how to partition your disks and because of this you can choose how much disk space to give over to the operating system and how much to keep for your own personal data.

The partition called “/dev/sda1” is a Windows system partition and should not be touched. The partition called “/dev/sda2” is the actual Windows partition and again should not be touched. When you run the Linux Mint install these are likely to be the only two partitions you see.

In my case there are two other partitions. The partition called “/dev/sda3” is a backup partition. I use this to store a system image. It is not the only place I store the system image but it gives me instant access in case something goes wrong. If I happen to lose this partition then I can always go to my external hard drive to restore the image.

The fourth partition on my drive is a data partition. I learned a long time ago to separate the operating system from the data on a drive and as such I created a data partition for storing documents, images, photos and videos.

What you will also notice if you look at the image above is that there is a lot of free space. Over 100 gigabytes worth. This is the space I managed to retrieve by shrinking the Windows partition and this is where Linux Mint will be installed.

At this stage it is important to talk about disk partitions. Each hard disk within a computer can have 4 primary partitions. Windows needs to run off a primary partition. Each primary partition can have logical partitions. Linux can run from logical partitions.

If you look at the disk layout on my computer you will have worked out that I already have 4 primary partitions set up. The plan therefore is make logical partitions within the 4th partition.

The setup will be as follows: Partitions 1 and 2 are for Windows and are primary partitions. Partition 3 will also be a primary partition and will remain as a backup partition. Partition 4 will be an extended partition and will contain 4 logical partitions.

The logical partitions will be the existing data partition, a partition for Linux Mint, a partition for storing data and a swap partition.

In your case you might only have 2 primary partitions set up as you may not have the backup or data partitions. This does not matter. You will be creating your logical partitions in the 3rd primary partition.
Creating the root partition

Select the “Free Space” and click “Add”.

A screen will appear asking you to create a partition. In this step you will create the partition that will be used by Linux Mint.

Initially the box marked “New partition size in megabytes” will show the full amount of free space. Realistically you only need around 20 gigabytes for the operating system allowing for software installations and so overwrite this field with 20000.

Leave the radio button for “Location for the new partition” as “Beginning”. This will place the Linux Mint partition at the beginning of the disk.

The “Use as” dropdown allows you to choose the file system that will be used by Linux Mint. The most commonly used file system in Linux is EXT4 and so I would always recommend using this type of partition.

Change the mount point to / to make this the root partition.

Click “OK” to continue.
Creating the home partition

Now we are going to create the data partition or as it is called in Linux, the home partition. Consider the home partition to be the same as “c:\users\username” in Windows.

Select the free space and click the “Add” button again from the “Installation Type” screen.

The data partition will use up the rest of the disk space minus the amount you plan to use as a swap partition.

How big should your swap size be?

Now that is a really good question and everyone has differing opinions. If you plan to hibernate/suspend then consider using at least as much disk space as RAM.

In the box marked “New partition size in megabytes” enter a value which is at least the mount of RAM less than the amount of remaining disk space.

Again set the “location for the new partition” to “Beginning” and set the “Use as” to “EXT4”.

You should set the mount point to “/home”.

Click “OK” to continue.
Creating the swap partition

The final partition to be created is the “Swap” partition.

Select the free space and click the “Add” button again from the “Installation Type” screen.

Enter the remaining disk space in the “New partition size in megabytes” box.

This time change the “Location for the new partition” to be “End”.

Within the “Use as” dropdown select “Swap area”.

The “Swap area” is used when your machine has memory hungry tasks.

The memory hungry tasks will start using disk space to store and swap memory. This is of course inefficient and if you hear a lot of disk activity when doing simple tasks then it probably means you don’t have enough memory in your machine.

The “Swap area” is used by Linux Mint for hibernation purposes. If you don’t care about hibernation then you can make this partition a lot smaller.
Now that all the partitions have been created the last thing to do from the Installation Type screen is to choose where to install the bootloader. This usually defaults to the correct place and should say “/dev/sda”. It is important to make sure this does not have any numbers at the end. (for example /dev/sda2).

The bootloader determines the boot order of operating systems.

The rest of the steps are very straight forward. Choose your location.

Choose your keyboard layout.

http://www.besanttechnologies.com/compa ... e-training | http://www.trainingintambaram.in/androi ... nnai.html#
dwarak

Postby sravanim » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:55 am

Hi,

I found one helpful link for your problem.. May be it is useful to you.. please check this link : http://helpsite.org/install-software-in-linux/
sravanim

Postby alirafami » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:48 am

go to youtube and search the "how to install on linux mint",and you see many videos instruction
alirafami

Postby propertyinvestsg » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:32 am

alirafami wrote:
> go to youtube and search the "how to install on linux mint",and
> you see many videos instruction

Hi I tried to search, can you provide me any link from YouTube thanks
propertyinvestsg

Postby venkatweetz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:22 am

Many free video tutorial available on youtube. Instead of tet based conversation, check those videos. You can easily get the work done.
venkatweetz

Postby thedesigneroffice » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:13 pm

I would suggest you to refer to this official document.

http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... x_Machines
thedesigneroffice

Postby DavidInman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:34 am

thedesigneroffice wrote:
> I would suggest you to refer to this official document.
>
>
> http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... x_Machines

Thanks for sharing this guide. It will be really helpful for many.
DavidInman

Postby hlyr » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:43 am

Hello,

I have the same issue, although I am using Ubuntu 18.04. I have tcl8.5 and 8.5-dev installed, along with gfortran. I also installed subversion but when I tried using the command to connect to the Opensees repository, it would fail to connect. I tried to following commands:

1) svn co svn://opensees.berkeley.edu/usr/local/s ... Sees/trunk OpenSees
2) svn co svn://peera.berkeley.edu/usr/local/svn/OpenSees/trunk OpenSees

(I did use the $ svnserve -d in order to open port 3690). Is there any other way I can download Opensees? Thanks.
hlyr

Postby manojc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Don't Know But I got many linux tutorial here
https://www.earngurus.com/install-chrom ... buntu-vps/
manojc

Return to Framework