directiroy of installing of TCL/TK

For posts concerning the documentation, errors, ommissions, general comments, etc.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

rainandcm

directiroy of installing of TCL/TK

Post by rainandcm » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:10 am

As pointed out, TCL/TK should be installed in "C:\Program Files\Tcl" instead of "C:\tcl".

1st question: I've alway chosen to install in C:\tcl. Programs run fine in my PC. Why should I change the default directory?

2st question: For 64-bit Operating System, there are two possible directory: one is "C:\Program Files (x86)" one is "C:\Program Files". When I change the directory, it can not allow me to install it successfully.

Welcome to discuss.. Thanks.

fmk
Site Admin

Re: directiroy of installing of TCL/TK

Post by fmk » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:01 pm

1) because that is where the application will look for it. it is the old default install directory and the install directory that a typical program would install itself.
2) i don't release a 64 bit version of the OpenSees code (don't have access to a machine or compilers needed to do so), it is linked against the 32 bit version of tcl.

rainandcm

Post by rainandcm » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Here is my experience in installing TCL/TK in 64 bit Windows 7 OS. Is is very very important to left click the TCL/TK.exe and click "run as administrator". If you don't do this, Windows 7 will not allow you to change installation folder.

Just to share with people, in case others have the same problem.

gmontalva

Post by gmontalva » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:28 am

The "run as administrator" was the key for the installation. Thanks!
Gonzalo Montalva
University of Concepcion, Chile

DanielGonzalez

Post by DanielGonzalez » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:29 am

I was installing the Tcl/Tk in 64 bit Windows 8 and the "run as administrator" was also the key for the installation. Thank you very much.

bhagacharya

Post by bhagacharya » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi, I have a similar problem,

I tried to install OpenSees in C:\Program Files\Tcl. Unfortunately, I couldn't install in my Computer( Window 7, 64 bit OS).

When I tried to install in C:\Program Files\Tcl format, it displays message like : Invalid directory choice can't create directory "C:/Program Files/Tcl": permission denied. Please choose another directory.

The available option I selected in this stage includes:
A) Installation mode: 1) Install for current user only - (this option is active and selected)
2) Install for all users (requires Administrative Privileges) - (this option is inactive and hence couldn't selected)
B) Registry Settings: 1) Add ".tcl" to your executable path extensions (PATHEX) - (this option is inactive and hence couldn't selected)
2) Associate ".tcl" extension to Active TCL8.5 - (this option is active and selected)
3) Associate ".tbc" extension to Active TCL8.5 - (this option is active and selected)

In this circumstances, if someone help me how I can successfully install in my PC ? I appreciate your kind support.

Regards,
Bhagaban
University of Sydney, Australia

bhagacharya

Post by bhagacharya » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi all,

In the mean time, can you suggest me the procedure that how I can install (PC, window 7, 64 bit OS) it by "run as administrator" ?

Thank you.

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:32 am

right click the installer and run as administrator

xuefengyijiao

Post by xuefengyijiao » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:31 am

Run as administrator solves the problem. Thank you.