Flat Slider Bearing Element : Friction Damper

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

SINHA

Flat Slider Bearing Element : Friction Damper

Post by SINHA » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to model Friction damper with Flat Slider Bearing element. For Stick-Slip model of friction damper 'Kinit' should be ideally infinite. But for much higher value ( 1.0e15) it's showing numerical instability.

Can anyone help me with the 'Kinit' value for Flat Slider Bearing element when to be used as friciton damper?

Thank you.

selimgunay

Re: Flat Slider Bearing Element : Friction Damper

Post by selimgunay » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:10 pm

You can reduce it until you get an unacceptable change in the period. So start with 1e15, record the period and continue reducing the initial stiffness until the difference between the new period and the original is unacceptable (acceptable difference can be as low as 0.05 sec). Then you can see if you have any numerical issues with the revised initial stiffness.

Gunner

Post by Gunner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:38 am

selimgunay wrote:
> You can reduce it until you get an unacceptable change in the period. So
> start with 1e15, record the period and continue reducing the initial
> stiffness until the difference between the new period and the original is
> unacceptable (acceptable difference can be as low as 0.05 sec). Then you
> can see if you have any numerical issues with the revised initial
> stiffness.

Glad... Thank you selim. :shock:
Stonepanel duvar panelleri, dekoratif tavan ve duvar kaplama sistemleri, taş duvar panelleri, taş duvar kaplama, taş kaplama, taş duvar paneli, ahşap görünümlü duvar panelleri, beton görünümlü duvar kaplama.

Taş duvar kaplama

SINHA

Post by SINHA » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:22 am

According to the OpenSees documentation 'Kinit' is the slope between Friction Coefficient (i.e., Mu) and displacement of the slider (i.e., dy/dz). Is it actual K (stiffness) of the slider or the different parameter of slider? what is actually 'Kinit' and how this parameter works? can anyone help it's bit confusing.

Thank You..