Calculate deformation of a RC column in opensees

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

farazmizani

Calculate deformation of a RC column in opensees

Post by farazmizani » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:46 am

Dear Mr./Mrs.
As we all know the deformation of an RC model includes contributions of flexural deformations, reinforcement slippage from its anchorage zone(support rotation) and shear deformations. I use opensees in my thesis therefore at the first phrase I want to Compare and verify opensees responses with an RC column specimen which was modeled and examined experimentally in PEER and I modeled a cantilever RC column of the article and it seems that opensees doesn’t consider the shear deflection and reinforcement slippage but it works well for flexural deformation. So my main question is, does opensees consider these issues on its analysis or not? and if it does , would you help me about how can I define these terms in my model?

fmk
Site Admin

Re: Calculate deformation of a RC column in opensees

Post by fmk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 am

if your model does not capture rebar slippage and shear deformation (and if you are not using a SectionAgggregator or special modeling techniques for the slippage) then NO OpenSees does not consider them. For shear deformation look at the section aggregator and for bar slippage look at some of the steel models or get creative with springs.