3d modeling of surface foundation on soil

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

Ballasty

3d modeling of surface foundation on soil

Post by Ballasty » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi everybody,

I am doing a 3d soil structure interaction analysis so I started from the simplest case- everything is elastic. I used shell elements to simulate a surface foundation and used 'equalDOF' to tie the foundation nodes to the corresponding nodes on the surface of the soil domain (modeled using 'stdBrick').

The model worked for the static analysis where I applied forces to the foundation and could get reasonable responses. However, in the dynamic analysis where I applied horizontal force time history to the bottom nodes of the soil domain, I could get motions only for soil nodes. In the output files of the foundation nodes, only the time at each step appeared at the first column and there was no displacement history at all.

I also tried using 'elasticbeamcolumn' elements and 'rigiddiaphragm' to model the foundation but had the same problem. It seems that the foundation was isolated from the soil in the dynamic analysis even if I used 'equalDOF'' to connect them.

Could anybody help identify the problem? Thanks :D .

Yang

Jhno

Re: 3d modeling of surface foundation on soil

Post by Jhno » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 am

Which constraint handler are you using?

Ballasty

Post by Ballasty » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:34 pm

Hi Jhno-I am using the Plain constraints.

Ballasty

Post by Ballasty » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:21 pm

Problem solved. I made a silly mistake-didn't source the tcl file that creates foundation nodes & elements....

zemiki

Post by zemiki » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:53 am

I defined my structure with a model builder of -ndm 3 -ndf 6 and my soil as -ndm 3 -ndf 3 with a stdbrick element. I connected the base of the structure with the brick elements with eqdof in dof1 and dof2. my analysis failed even for gravity load. what kind of constraints did you use to connect the base of the structure to the soil. Michael midezutd@gmail.com