Opensees Parallel - Parametric study

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

polimeruvijay

Opensees Parallel - Parametric study

Post by polimeruvijay » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:50 am

Dear OpenSEES Community Members

I am doing a parametric study, in which I need to simulate the effect of a parameter, whose value starts from 0 to 100, total 100 simulations (I am using an increment one), and each simulation is independent.

I am using Opensees.exe program, which is custom made for my needs (Not a officially downloaded one, compiled using visual studio). each simulation is taking 0.5 hr (approx), total 2.5 days (approx).

So, what I am doing is, I have divided those 100 simulations into 10 groups (0-10, 11-20, 21-30 ....91-100), and running these 10 groups parallel using custom made regular opensees.exe program.

The process of dividing simulations into groups and then running them separately is very time difficult and my physical presence is necessary to run simulations multiple times.

Is there a way to do these 100 simulations at a stretch without dividing into separate groups. (or)
Is there a way to automate this process of grouping and running simulation.

Thanks in advance.

fmk
Site Admin

Re: Opensees Parallel - Parametric study

Post by fmk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:39 am

you could write a bash script, or develop python and even OpenSees programs that would invoke OpenSees do to the simulations.

as these are taking days you should really invest some time learning to run these in parallel. You can use DesignSafe-ci for this. They provide access to HPC resources running OpenSees.

Michaelpeter

Re: Opensees Parallel - Parametric study

Post by Michaelpeter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:21 pm

please

i am using opensees Linux

How to run the opensees program from python on ubuntu system to used python example codes

This is Email : khaledissam2016@gmail.com to communicate for me