Mesh sensitivity of concrete column

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

ismailqeshta

Mesh sensitivity of concrete column

Post by ismailqeshta » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:30 am

Hi,

I need to determine the best mesh configuration for my concrete column model. I am modeling it using non-linear BeamColumn elements with fiber cross-section. I divided the length of column into different equal segments, and increased them from 1 to 10, but the pushover curve always shows linear trend.

I then made unequal segments and the pushover curve showed more reasonable trend (peak and degradation branch).

I don't know how to determine the best mesh configuration, and how to judge or verify my results.

Regards.

fmk
Site Admin

Re: Mesh sensitivity of concrete column

Post by fmk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:00 am

if this is a column the results will keep chaning as you change the mesh discretization .. this is to be expected as basically you are concentrating the nonlinearities into a single or a few elements depending on the material properties .. what is best depends on the actual column you are trying to model .. you probably should find some experimental data and use that or at least some online resources such as those provided by Lignos now at ETH.

ismailqeshta

Re: Mesh sensitivity of concrete column

Post by ismailqeshta » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi fmk,

Many thanks for your reply.

Regards,