Equal DOF vs elasticBeamcolumn Post-tensioned walls

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

DGarza

Equal DOF vs elasticBeamcolumn Post-tensioned walls

Post by DGarza » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:51 am

I have modeled a post-tensioned wall using FiberSec with dispBeamColumn and forceBeamColumn. The PT is corotTrussSection that has an intial stress. Material is Concreteo1 and Steel02.
I fixed the joints at base and the top joints have been modeled two ways. The first is to insert equalDOF with the top node of beam column being the master and the top PT nodes are slaved. The model runs fine with a static cyclic push-pull but the out-put graph of shear vs drift is symmetric but not a-symmetric. The second is applying two elasticBeamcolumn at top connecting the forceBeamColumn to the PT nodes. This runs fine until it has "ForceBeamColumn2d::update() -- could not invert flexibility" error after pushing to 8". The static cyclic is set to run up to +/- 10". However, plotting what did run by using elasticBeamcolumn of force vs drift is a nice hysteric graph that is symmetric and a-symmetric. Not sure what is going on as I would think they both should be very similar.

selimgunay

Re: Equal DOF vs elasticBeamcolumn Post-tensioned walls

Post by selimgunay » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:21 pm

The first option sounds like a reasonable approach. Can you upload the resulting force displacement?