BeamWithHinges conv. problem - analysis stuck in same step

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

MPazidis

BeamWithHinges conv. problem - analysis stuck in same step

Post by MPazidis » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:58 am

Hello,

I have been conducting Incremental Dynamic Analysis on a bridge. The bridge has one pier which I modeled with a BeamWithHinges element.
While most of the records that I use converge, with some of them, a problem occurs. The error message is as follows

WARNING - ForceBeamColumn3d::update - failed to get compatible element forces & deformations for element: 100(dW: << 9.5657e-005, dW0: 9.56583e-005)
Domain::update - domain failed in update
Newmark::update() - failed to update the domain
WARNING ModifiedNewton::solveCurrentStep() -the Integrator failed in update()
WARNING - ForceBeamColumn3d::update - failed to get compatible element forces & deformations for element: 100(dW: << 9.5657e-005, dW0: 9.56583e-005)
Domain::update - domain failed in update
Newmark::update() - failed to update the domain
WARNING ModifiedNewton::solveCurrentStep() -the Integrator failed in update()

The above keeps repeating over and over. I am already using adaptive strategies, but the problem is that since the Domain doesn't update, the analysis cannot move on to the next algorithm and/or tolerance; it is stuck in the same time step over and over. I have used every algorithm and the problem remains. I have looked at the record and it doesn't seem to have a peak at the specific time of the analysis, neither do the results.

My main problem is that the analysis doesn't stop so the IDA can move on to the next record. It just keeps printing the same error. I was thinking of having a timer that terminates the analysis after a certain time limit, but I doubt that it is possible in OpenSees. Every recommendation will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance