Curvature on forcebeamcolumn elements

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

apapaso

Curvature on forcebeamcolumn elements

Post by apapaso » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:46 am

I am using forcebeamcolumn elements to model the columns of a RC structure, for performing NL IDA analysis.
Subsequently, I use the curvature at the ends of the columns (sections 1 & N) to calculate a damage index.

However, I am greatly concerned about the variation of the curvature values calculated by opensses, regarding the number of the integration points:
- for small deformations (until the yield point), I get identical curvature values, regarless of the number o IPs.
- after yielding, curvature values diverge significantly, and the more the IPs, the grater the curvature values.

The largest values, obtained with 10 IPs (-integration Lobatto), are clearly erroneous (E.g. 1st floor column base curvature 0,44 for interstory drift 3%).

After reading some papers about forcebeamcolumn integration methods (like M. Scott & G. Fenves 2004), I am still confused.

How can I get reliable curvature values for calculating damage indices?

selimgunay

Re: Curvature on forcebeamcolumn elements

Post by selimgunay » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:02 pm

In the analyses with different number of integration points, are you using Lobatto? Also are you comparing the curvatures at the same integration points at the element ends?

apapaso

Post by apapaso » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:18 pm

Indeed, I am using Lobatto. I always compare the curvatures at the first and the last section of the element.
(command: [lindex [eleResponse $i section 1 deformation] 1] -for the first section)
I understand that Radau is considered more accurate, but I 'd prefer a method which calculates internally the plastic hinge length Lp.

EricsonEncinaZ

Post by EricsonEncinaZ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:24 am

If your elements have an almost EPP or softening behaviour then you may be having localisation issues, which are known to occur in force based elements http://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/ ... %281257%29. You can either use regularisation techniques for your materials and/or postprocessing your data to obtain objective results or you may use displacement based elements.

It is also important to note that a force based element assumes a linear moment distribution, unlike a displacement based element that assumes linear curvature distribution. This means that if you have a linear moment distribution (like columns and walls in buildings) you just need 1 force based element per level, regardless of the curvature distribution; but if you use DB elements then discretisation is quite important to accurately capture the NL curvature distribution.

I hope the paper above expands more the idea.

apapaso

Post by apapaso » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Thank you for your reply, you have been most helpful.