new interface and a question

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

avcioglu

new interface and a question

Post by avcioglu » Mon May 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Hello. I am coding a new interface with 3d views, you can check the screenshots from:
:arrow: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... m9kZ2pCM3M
and download from:
:arrow: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... EJadWJMeHc
It can read s2k files now, and generate nonelastic frame parts for framehinges defined in sap2000.
I have a simple question, I used forceBeamColumn or dispBeamColumn to model nonlinear hinges. I want to use zeroLength element, but I can't assign same displacements between nodes for sloped beams(check picture https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-8F0 ... EoyTkNGX28). I tried equalDOF command, but it is global so it works for orthagonal frames only. I want to assign only LOCAL M2 plastic hinge, and I want to keep other LOCAL dof's same. Can I make it?

Note: If you want to try interface, open the model I shared, goto DESIGN menu and assign bars. Then goto analyse menu, select YATAY from "Increment" menu, check "Displacement controlled", assign 50 steps and 20cm displacement target, click "Add pushover analysis" and "Analyse" button. Sorry for the spelling mistakes, the project is in a very early stage.

selimgunay

Re: new interface and a question

Post by selimgunay » Thu May 18, 2017 11:34 am

Having a sloped beam does not restrict the usage of equalDOF command for a zerolength element. You can still use a zero-length element at the end of your sloped beam (you need to define two nodes with same coordinates), assign a rotational spring in the M2 direction and constrain all the other dofs to be the same by using the equaldof command. Below is an example:

element zeroLength 1 10 20 -mat 1 -dir 4;
equalDOF 10 20 1 2 3 5 6;
uniaxialMaterial Steel01 1 10.0 40.0 0.05;

The slope of the beam will be automatically considered by the beam geometry in the model.

avcioglu

Post by avcioglu » Thu May 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Hello Mr. Selim, thank you for your reply.
I draw a wrong example, here is the right one:
A beam from point X:0 Y:0 Z:3 to X:4 Y:3 Z:5 so M2 vector will be <-0.6,0.8,0>
in that case, I can't use equalDOF, I need to apply rotation to coordinate system(I guess)
So I need to pass N V3 V3 T M3 directly, and M2 from plastic hinge in local coordinates

selimgunay

Post by selimgunay » Fri May 19, 2017 10:46 am

As you are using a zerolength element, you don't need to worry about the local and global coordinates. The rotational spring will automatically consider the slope of the beam because the zerolength element is connected to the beam. Therefore, you can define your zerolength element in the same way as you would do for horizontal and vertical elements.