wrong Initial stress at top of element quadUP

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

jaimercado

wrong Initial stress at top of element quadUP

Post by jaimercado » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi all

Currently, I am working with a Four_Nine_QuadUP element and the Pressure Depend Multi Yield 02 material. While i am doing the gravity analysis of a single quadUp element, the top nodes (i.e., node 3, 4 and 7) have a "effective stress" different to zero, which obviously those nodes should have the stress as zero, and the bottom nodes (i.e., 1, 2 and 5) have a effective stress different to the expected one. Curiosily, if you sum the stress at node 1 and at node 3 up, you came up with the real effective stress that the bottom should have.

Surfing on the web, i found that several examples (http://soilquake.net/opensees/94QuadUP/index.htm) have the same "issue".

Why do you think this is happening?

Thanks in advance...

Jaime M.
:D

jinlu

Re: wrong Initial stress at top of element quadUP

Post by jinlu » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:34 pm

The stress is recorded at Gauss integration points, not at nodes. Four_Nine_QuadUP element employs 3x3 Gauss integration scheme. Please check a Finite Element textbook for the Gauss point locations. Also, in Four_Nine_QuadUP element, the order of the Gauss points is not the same as that of element nodes, e.g., Gauss point 2 (or material point 2 in recorder) is not near the corner of node 2. --Jinchi

jaimercado

Re: wrong Initial stress at top of element quadUP

Post by jaimercado » Wed May 10, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks very much! You are right!.