How to create a shear cantilever?

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

huabei

How to create a shear cantilever?

Post by huabei » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi,everyone
I'm a new user of opensees. I want to build a nonlinear simplified MDOF model of regular wall-frame structures, it is consist of a combination of a flexural cantilever and shear cantilever deforming either in bending or shear configurations, respectively. The flexural and shear cantilever are assumed to be connected by axially rigid members that transmit horizontal forces. My purpose is to approximate lateral deformation of wall-frame structures under earthquake ground motions using the simplified model.

Now, the section of flexural cantilever is modelled by two fibers, but I can't find a way to model the shear cantilever and make it very stiff flexural and deform in shear. I tried the fiber section , but if I set the flexural rigidity a very large number and aggragate material objects about shear-shear deformation, when I do the pushover analysis, the base shear of simplified model will much bigger than that of original wall-frame structures. So how can I model the cantilever and make it deform in shear? Please help me.

here is the paper that developed simplified MDOF model:J.S Kuang, Kai Huang. Simplified multi-degree-of-freedom model for estimation of seismic response of regular wall-frame structures[J]. The Structure Design of Tall and Special Buildings. 2011, 20:418-432