Mainshock-Aftershock Sequence IDA

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

ssami

Mainshock-Aftershock Sequence IDA

Post by ssami » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:37 am

Hi everybody

I want to perform IDA on a building under mainshock-aftershock sequence earthquake. In order to perform IDA for a mainshock-damaged building, a sequence of mainshock and aftershock records was entered into the model. For a given sequence of mainshock and aftershock records, the scale factor for a given mainshock response was unchanged while the intensity of the aftershock record was scaled until the model collapsed. So, in IDA process for mainshock-aftershock sequence, a nonlinear dynamic analysis is performed under a mainshock record and then several nonlinear analyses are carried out under aftershock records with different intensities (for example with scaled PGA from 0.1g to 1g with increments of 0.1g., i.e. 10 nonlinear dynamic analyses under aftershock records). Therefore My question is that is it possible to perform IDA analysis for a mainshock-damaged building in OpenSees without repeating mainshock analyses? In the other words, Is it possible to perform 10 analyses for a mainshock-damaged building under 10 aftershock records (with scaled PGA from 0.1g to 1g) without doing 10 analyses under same mainshock in OpenSees?

Thanks

kengawk

Re: Mainshock-Aftershock Sequence IDA

Post by kengawk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:28 am

maybe the following commands can help

This command is used to save the state of the model in the database.
save $commitTag
$commitTag unique identifier that can be used to restore the state
at a later time

This command is used to restore the state of the model from the information stored in the database.
restore $commitTag
$commitTag unique identifier used to restore the state at the model when the
save command was invoked
Kai Zhang
------------------------------
PH.D. candidate
School of Civil Engineering&Architecture
Beijing Jiaotong University

masoudahmadi

Post by masoudahmadi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:09 am

Hi ssami,
Can you find best solution for doing IDA on a building under mainshock-aftershock sequence?
do you use proposed procedure by kengawk?

sfsr

Post by sfsr » Wed May 03, 2017 11:11 am

Hello ssami,

Have you achieved your aftershock IDA analysis without repeating mainshock in Opensees? I met the same problem, could you give me some suggestion?

Thank you.
Fei SHI
Ph.D student
Guangzhou University & University of Virginia