Pushover analysis - capacity curve

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

marcoferrini8

Pushover analysis - capacity curve

Post by marcoferrini8 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:09 am

Hallo everybody. Thank you for your work.
I've got a question for you. I think it's a simple thing but I cannot figure how to solve it (I'm just a beginner with OpenSees). Ok my problem is HOW TO PLOT THE CAPACITY (base shear-displacement of a control point) CURVE DURING A PUSHOVER ANALYSIS. Because in all the examples in Wiki, the results of a pushover analysis is just the displacement of the control point. So what I need is to figure how to record the base shear and the displacement of the control point during all the steps. Can you please help me with the script of the necessary commands or with some examples. Thank you very much in advantage!!! Best regards.
Marco

PS I've already tried to copy the Recorder commands of the "Gravity Analysis" examples but it doesn't work..I mean the output file are..empty!!

marcoferrini8

Re: Pushover analysis - capacity curve

Post by marcoferrini8 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:16 am

Help... :wink:

vesna

Re: Pushover analysis - capacity curve

Post by vesna » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:07 pm

You need to learn how to define recorder and create output in OpenSees. Here is a reference: http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... %26_Output

To get the displacement you need to use Nodal recorder with argument "disp": http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... e_Recorder
(e.g., recorder Node -file nodeD.out -time -node 1 -dof 1 disp)

To get the base shear of your structure you need to use Nodal recorder with argument "reaction" at all nodes at the base of your structure and to sum them up to get the total base shear
(e.g., recorder Node -file nodeR.out -time -node 10 11 12 13 -dof 1 reaction)